November 1 2014 Latest news:
Chris Britcher, Reporter
Monday, March 12, 2012
Full details of what it will mean for you
Kent is set to be under a hosepipe ban within weeks as the major water companies look to protect supplies after two dry winters.
Southern Water, South East Water, Veolia Water South East and Thames Water all say they will look to introduce the bans after the area became a drought zone last month.
Experts say only heavy non-stop rain for weeks will ease the problem.
The hosepipe ban covers watering a garden or plants; cleaning a motor-vehicle or private leisure boat; filling a domestic swimming or paddling pool; drawing water for domestic recreational use; filling a domestic pond or ornamental fountain; cleaning walls or windows of domestic premises; and cleaning paths or patios or other artificial outdoor surfaces
Veolia Water South East head of operations Gavin McHale said the ban was an essential move to conserve a scarce resource and help ensure a secure supply during what could be a continuing and severe drought. The company will introduce its ban on April 5.
He said: “In the Folkestone and Dover area we have no surface water from rivers or reservoirs to draw on and we rely on boreholes which take water from chalk and gravel aquifers. These natural aquifers need to be recharged each year during the autumn, winter and spring but we have had months of dry weather which have left our sources well below average levels.
“As we live in one of the driest areas in the country and forecasts show the drought likely to continue we need to move quickly to conserve our limited water resources. It is only prudent to try to save as much water as possible at this early stage and we are asking all our customers to help.
“You can save a significant amount of water with no impact on your lifestyle. Always remember that small savings each day add up to big savings in the end. And with most of our customers on meters there is money to be saved on bills as well.”
Southern Water will introduce its hosepipe ban also on April 5.
The company’s water strategy manager, Meyrick Gough, said: “These measures are being brought in following an exceptionally dry 12 months.
“To safeguard supplies throughout the summer we need to restrict the amount of water used in gardens.”