Fire alarm saves lives

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

An unattended candle is being blamed for sparking a blaze in a house in Ashford on Friday afternoon.

Three fire crews were called to a property in Otterden Close on the Stanhope estate, just after 3pm after reports of a fire.

When they arrived the first floor of the house was well alight.

Fortunately, however, a smoke alarm had alerted householders and no-one was injured.

Firefighters wore breathing apparatus to tackle the blaze and used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the smoke.

Watch Manager Jim Smart said: “It appears a candle had been left burning and this set light to the room which was then completely destroyed and half of the first floor was also damaged by fire.

“However, fortunately no-one was hurt and doors to other rooms were shut which cut down on smoke damage but this is a clear reminder of the dangers of leaving lit candles unattended and how quickly such items can cause a major blaze.”

The fire was dealt with within 50 minutes.

0 comments

NEWS WHERE YOU LIVE

News, sport, video, blogs and local information
where you live...

Local Weather

Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 24°C

min temp: 19°C

Five-day forecast

e-Edition CLICK TO READ NEWSPAPERS, MAGAZINES, GUIDES AND NEWSLETTERS ONLINE


  • Kent on Sunday


    Kent Life


    Kent Bride


    Visit Kent


  • Community Health


    Isle


    Education for Kent