Terence Pooke sentenced to 15 years

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

An armed robber who launched a terrifying attack on two security guards during an ambush 11 years ago has been jailed for 15 years.

Terence Pooke was one of four men who lay in wait for a Securicor van to arrive in Wye High Street near Ashford on March 28, 2001.

Maidstone Crown Court heard how the 48-year-old pushed his way into the van, armed with a gun and taking the security guards by surprise.

The victims, still in their van, were then driven to a remote location where one was dragged out and made to lie face down on the ground.

His colleague was told the man would be shot unless he complied with the robber’s demands. He was then also dragged from the van and threatened.

The robbers eventually made off with around £10,000 after failing to open all the safes.

The guards were left shaken but not seriously injured.

Detective Sergeant Rob Haines, of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said the experience still haunts the victims today.

“They were simply going about their daily routine, doing their job when they were faced with the most terrifying experience,” he said.

The robbery was one of a series of armed incidents which had been committed in Kent and Sussex in the preceding months.

Following the incident, police arrested three people. One later pleaded guilty, one was found guilty and the third was acquitted.

Pooke, the fourth and final member of the group, remained unidentified for 10 years.

He was eventually charged in August last year with offences in connection with the incident as part of an ongoing investigation by the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate.

Pooke, of no fixed address, denied robbery of a Securicor cash-in-transit van to the value of £10,328.53 and possession of a handgun with intent to cause unlawful violence.

He was found guilty by a jury on both counts.

Detective Sergeant Rob Haines said: “At that time, on that day, the two security guards were in fear of their lives.

“They had been confronted by four robbers, one of which was armed with a gun, and threatened.

“We remained determined to bring the final outstanding offender to justice for his crime and today he has been jailed for 15 years – a sentence which reflects the severity of what he did more than a decade ago.”



News, sport, video, blogs and local information
where you live...

Local Weather



max temp: 1°C

min temp: 2°C

Five-day forecast


  • Kent on Sunday

    Kent Life

    Kent Bride

    Visit Kent

  • Community Health


    Education for Kent

    Broadstairs Food Festival